Saturday, September 4, 2010

Josh Kilpatrick

"If magic is thus next of kin to science, we have still to enquire how it stands related to religion." -The Golden Bough, James Frazier, pg 49.

Hello everybody :).
        As I begin to read The Metamorphoses of Ovid, I don't understand Juno.  She finds out that Jove is cheating on her, so instead of punishing him she punishes the girl he raped.  It's not like a normal nymph is gonna overpower a god, so the girl has no choice in the matter and was into chastity.  The first on she transforms into a cow which I can understand that transformation a little bit.  It's when she transforms the second nymph into a bear that I don't understand.  How is being turned into a bear a punishment?  I would love to be turned into a bear.  Juno gets pissed when Jove turns them back.  That's a shocker.  She hadn't anticipated the fact he's ALSO a god and can do that kind of magic.
        In the first 2 chapters it seems that at least half the transformations are trees.  So as I'm walking around campus now, I can't help but feel as though I'm being watched by trees.  Also, how do the trees weep?  Does that mean sap starts gushing out from 2 pieces of bark?
        Also, I would like to comment on the sun god, Phoebus.  Is it just me or does phoebus seem a little whiny? If he hates Jove for killing his sun so much, why not do something about it.  Instead, all he does is pout and say, I'm paraphrasing here,"Aww everyone is so mean to me.  Well I'm not going to be the sun anymore so ha!"

No comments:

Post a Comment